I promised to post this a while back and quickly forgot as I had just sold my waterfront home, got a divorce and moved to my little cottage.
This recipe may be made with any variety of pear, or use apples. Sprinkle the cake with sifted confectioners’ sugar or use a simple Vanilla or Caramel Glaze.
- For the Fruit Mixture:
- 3 cups Asian Pears(diced)
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan or spray generously with Baker’s Joy or other similar baking spray mixture with flour. Heat oven to 325 F.
- Combine diced pears, pecans, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/3 cup granulated sugar; toss. Cover and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt, and soda; mix to blend thoroughly.
- With electric mixture on low, stir in oil, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. Stir in the fruit and nut mixture until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool completely.
- Transfer to a serving plate and glaze with a vanilla or caramel glaze or just dust with powdered sugar.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat
- Add the brown sugar to the butter and cook, stirring, for 1 minute
- Add salt and cream; bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Cool for about 15 to 20 minutes and then drizzle over cake.
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (sifted before measuring)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (clear for whiter icing)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Combine the sifted confectioners’ sugar, softened butter, vanilla extract, salt, and 3 tablespoons milk in a mixing bowl.
- Stir until smooth and well blended.
- Adjust for desired consistency as needed, adding more milk for drizzling or more confectioners’ sugar for spreading.
- Use immediately to top a cake, cookies, and other treats.