What’s for dinner on a weeknight? Got some hamburger in the freezer, some fresh mushrooms, sour cream and a few other additional items and you have the poor man’s version of Beef Stroganoff:
I served it with a ten-minute instant pot recipe for artichoke. They are on sale this time of year, so perfect accompaniment for a simple dinner.
The recipe can vary based on the ingredients you have on hand. I find ground beef gives the best flavor but you can certainly substitute another type of ground meat such as ground turkey or pork. If using something other than beef, you’ll likely want to add some extra Maggi or Beef Bouillon for a richer flavor!
This easy Ground beef stroganoff recipe is made from scratch with fresh ingredients (no Cream of Mushroom soup as there is too much sodium). This way too simple to make! You’re literally just minutes away from getting this beef stroganoff on the table!
- Brown beef, onions and garlic.
- Add mushrooms, sauce & seasonings. Simmer a few minutes.
- Start your egg noodles cooking!
- Stir in sour cream and serve over egg noodles.
- Sour cream may curdle if it boils so add the sour cream, after you have completed everything else.
- You can use Greek yogurt if you do not have sour cream. I prefer “light” sour cream or non-dairy sour cream.
Add a little more flavor with any or all of the following:
- A teaspoon or so of dijon mustard
- Add a sprig or two of fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon of dried)
- Add a couple of slices of chopped cooked bacon with the sour cream. ( You can cook it covered with a paper towel for six minutes)
- Add a small bit of smoked paprika and a dash of hot sauce
I like to serve over thick fresh egg noodles, but you could serve it over potatoes, rice or normal pasta.
Poor Man’s Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 lb fresh mushrooms sliced ( I like a variety of fresh mushrooms)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth (I have bone broth, which worked great)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in a pan until no pink remains.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 more minute. ( I cook my mushrooms separately ahead of time, so there is less liquid)
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low 10 minutes.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Remove beef mixture from the heat, Let sit to cool a bit, stir in sour cream and parsley.
- Serve over egg noodles.
Enjoy with a nice bottle of red wine!